The Society has sponsored six historical markers erected in Plain Township. The text of each
marker can be read by clicking on the links.
1. Smith's Burying Ground: Pioneer Cemetery
On Route 62 near its intersection with Clouse Road. Honors the two
Revolutionary War Veterans, John Clouse and John Smith, known to be buried in
2. Wagnor Cemetery: Pioneer Burial Ground and Site of First School in
On Central College Road at its intersection with Cedar Grove. Site of a log school building (since
demolished) erected about 1820 and a pioneer cemetery containing graves of
veterans of the War of 1812 and the Civil War.
3. Archibald's Mill
On Kitzmiller Road
between house numbers 5906 and 5930, locates a 5 1/4-acre site on which early
pioneer Archibald Smith constructed a sawmill in 1833 on Blacklick Creek, thus
ushering in the water-powered sawmill era (to 1853) in Plain Township.
4. Founders of New Albany
Near the intersection of Routes 62 and 605 in downtown New Albany. The
marker, erected in 2003 as a Bicentennial event, honors Noble Landon and William
Yantis, who laid out New Albany in 1837.
5. Disposal of Land in Plain Township
On Swickard Woods Blvd., near the Plain Township Aquatic Center and Swickard Woods Park. This
marker, commissioned in 2003, describes Federal surveys of Plain
Township and disposal of public lands in the period during which Ohio became a
6. George & Christina Ealy House and Land
At 6359 Dublin-Granville Road, across from the Church of the Resurrection.
This marker, commissioned in 2010, describes the history of the Ealy family
and the construction of the Ealy house by local craftsmen.